THE FRENCH VIEWS AND BELIEFS ON HEALTH
I am writing this blog post from the city of lights, also known as Paris. I am always curious about the health beliefs of other cultures and countries, so I decided to do some research and share what I have learned.
France is known to have one of the best healthcare systems available and most citizens have access to it. About 75% of the doctors provide free patient care with the costs reimbursed by the government. The healthcare system is a western style medicine technique with the focus on cures instead of prevention.
ABOUT THE PEOPLE
France has the most centenarians of any other European country. In January 2016, about 21,000 centenarians were living in France where the life expectancy in is 82.9 years old compared to the United States at 78.5.
The most common form of alternative medicine in France is homeopathy, and about 10.2% of the population receive a reimbursement for the use of these medicines. Arnica, a common homeopathic medicine, is the most popular preparation used.
HEALTHY HABITS OF THE FRENCH
So, what can we learn from the French?
- Portion control.
- No dieting. They eat a wide variety of food and do not cut out any of the food groups without overdoing any one thing.
- Processed foods are not popular in France.
- They rarely snack.
- Brightly colored vegetables are popular.
- They eat slowly which helps them to feel full on less food.
- A lot of people get around by walking and biking.
- Say no to the buffets. Apparently, they aren’t common in France.
CALL TO ACTION
I would love to know if you have been to France and what differences you noticed about the French and their health habits? What is one healthy habit that you can implement into your life? Share in the comments below.